Monday, December 10, 2007

Bio of Best Band Ever


The Replacements were hailed as “The Last Best Band of the ‘80s” by Musician magazine, and in my opinion, they are the best band ever. Yet, many people have never heard of them. In some ways the Replacements were a band ahead of their time. Now, people can discover or re-discover this great band, by reading The Replacements : All Over But The Shouting : An Oral History by Jim Walsh.

I do not usually read biographies because I do not like to have my illusions shattered, but I really enjoyed this one. Jim Walsh presents the good and bad about the Replacements through snippets of interviews with the band members, people who knew them, people telling how they first discovered them, and even people who disliked the band. The book inspired me to listen to all their CDs for the umpteenth time and to search out my concert t-shirt.

The library owns six of the Replacements albums on CD and the two Best Of compilations if you are in the mood for early alternative rock.

-- NB

No comments: